Sunday, December 4, 2011

Symbianize 505: Of BSODs and Clams



The following scribbling is all about immersiondepth's virtual reality journey onto the realm of Symbianize, the new-tech-age community of the country's finest in the field of modern technology...


image credit: litemint of Symbianize


Symbianize 505: Of BSODs and Clams

It was one lazy sunny October afternoon, I was very much preoccupied browsing through a Google search page in my isolated cubicle at home. Desperately looking for a way to fix my virus-laden personal computer's latest issue, I chanced upon a page where a fellow seemingly have a similar dilemma as mine. Wasting no time, I parsed through the page and verified that indeed we share this common problem: "Intermittent Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Due to IRQL is Less or Not Equal." You see, I was still a newbie in troubleshooting computer issues back then, though that doesn't mean I am entirely new on computers. I have been using computers for the longest time on work-related functions but every time our units bog down, we just dial this 3-digit number and then the IT personnel will come to fix them right away. I never thought that having no technical background on basic troubleshooting will eventually take a toll on me as I now face problems on my very own PC. Well, thanks to Mr. Google. He is, as always, my go-to guy on times like this.  Going back to that Google search having to do with BSOD, clicking on the link led me to this curious website with light blue and sea green backdrop and an emblem of a capital "S" circumvented with 3 stars and a sun. SYMBIANIZE, The Exclusive Pinoy Chat, Mobile & PC Community. "Oh," I said, "cool, a forum site?" Though I am not new to forums either (as I am a member of 4 different local forums using the same handle!) but never did I know that there is a tech forum such as this exists. So this is the so-called Symbianize, I suddenly realized. I'm certain to have heard of the term from my techie friends at work, but I have no inkling it was a website or an online community on the internet. It was a household name at the workplace though I never bothered to ask what it is about. I thought it was just another one of those computer jargon of which I have no technical capability to understand.

So I was up about and eager to explore the Symbianize website hoping to get the resolution for my PC's problem when it seemed that I was stuck at the Welcome page after clicking on the link. Do I still need to sign-up and register to completely view the contents? "Ahm, ok." I began to have some minor hesitations as I know how gruelling it can be to sign-up on forum sites and besides, I was quite in a hurry that time as I was worrying the BSOD will occur any minute. Finally overcoming the reluctance, I promptly registered (used the usual handle I use), patiently read the site’s Dos and Don’ts, went to my email inbox and verified the registration. Accomplishing all that in a flash, I got redirected to a forum thread under PC Applications where there is an ongoing discussion on different types of BSOD errors. Wading through the comments, I found out that this is what I was looking for, Bluescreenview. A tiny program designed to identify the type of stop error occurring on a computer and also assist in determining the applications that are associated with the crash. After thanking the threadstarter and other members who participated on the thread discussion, I went ahead to test the app on my ailing PC. And there it was, it worked like a charm. Like a hound, it immediately pointed to my HP Office Suite (the driver for my now-defunct printer) as the culprit. On the other hand, like a good hunter, I immediately shifted to Safe Mode, killed the process running in the background, and finally uninstalling the perpetrator, banishing it forever from my computer. After days and months of observation and monitoring, the dreaded Blue Screen of Death became a mere ghost of the past. It never haunted me again. My PC was cured and I was happy as a clam. I felt proud because I did it on my own. I did not dial any 3-digit number nor did I call a friend, but instead, I accomplished it with my own initiative with the help of Symbianize on the side.

Well, again thanks to the Google search engine that I came to discover Symbianize. It was a turning point experience for me as I got overwhelmed with that single interaction. Since then, I try to visit Symbianize as often as I can. From twice a week, to every other day, until it became a daily routine. I am always logged in come day or night. I just can't get enough because there is so much to learn, to know, and to find out. Symbianize is like an uncharted body of water wherein I am a captain of a vessel, determined to explore and unravel the depths of its mysteries. I became an active member (and became lesser on my other affiliations, “Dear immersiondepth, we missed you on Facebook…”). I began to get fond of the site, testing the waters on all four corners and found them all equally entertaining and appealing. From the User's Feedback, to the Media Zone and way down to Gags and Jokes section, there was never a dull moment for me when I am at Symbianize. I also witnessed how the site evolved and developed in a span of one year tuning in. Some site features were removed such as the Thanks system while some features were added such as the revival of the ShoutBox.  As I become a lurker, a contributor, an observer and a friend, Symbianize was my hangout.

I am perpetually mesmerized by the individualities of fellow members, the steadfastness of the site moderators (and the beautiful knowledge they impart), the diligence of leveled masters and legends, and the persistent determination of the newcomers to belong and fit in. Maybe, this is why Symbianize is still going stronger after all these years. I think it is not because of what the site is offering to us, all the freebies and stuffs. It is not because of the number of posts we make to level-up or the number of reputations that we incur as we persevere. Most definitely not because of that übercool Symbianize banner bearing the "S" with the 3 stars and a sun, bestowing the all-Filipino pride representation. I believe it is simply because Symbianize is a thriving community of the Philippine's best and brightest in the field of modern technology, unafraid of attaining unlikely goals, partake on resplendent ideas and co-exist harmoniously in this make-believe world of endless marvel and wonder.

Happy Anniversary to Symbianize! It's 5 and counting! More power!

immersiondepth (bona fide member circa 2010)

posted on inidgeyou.tumblr.com as an official entry to Symbianize Essay Writing Contest

2 comments: